Friday, May 09, 2008

Spoiled

Spoiled, adjective, treated with excessive indulgence

I am truly spoiled beyond all wild imaginings.

I have all the basics to the point where I take them for granted. My pantry is full. I am warm and sheltered. I feel safe and know of so many people who are employed to care for me (police, hospital staff etc.) should I become unsafe and many more who would care, help, even pray if they know how, were I to face any real danger or upset (family, friends, church community etc.). I am loved.

The abundance with which I have been blessed is almost ridiculous.

I confessed to Beloved there will be no elaborate dinner tonight to accompany the lighting of our Sabbath candles, and he offered to buy pizza on the way home.

I called my Mum to let her know that the home loan was approved, and she offered to pay for a commercial cleaner to come through and clean this house after we move out.

I shopped for my favourite things, books of course, online the other night, and bought them without having to weigh up survival, or even comfort, against such a luxury. The decision was simply books, or a more comfortable bra. There will be money for underwear another time!

I have talked to two good friends today, and my Mum, and my husband, and my children. I expect to talk to more people who I love and who love me before I go to sleep. I will speak to them, and take it for granted that I will be able to speak to them next week, and the week after, and the week after that. But I will still take time to tell them that I love them.

I picked up my Bible and read to the Children this morning. We discussed theology (Divine Advocacy today) at their level and sang and prayed before plunging into the day - with no fear of danger or retribution.

We had a picnic on the grass just because we can, the dishwasher and the washing machine continuing with our household chores.


If you are as spoiled as I am, please join me in helping those who aren't quite as spoiled at the moment. Avoid becoming badly spoiled (adjective, having the character or disposition harmed by pampering or oversolicitous attention)

ADRA cyclone relief for Burma

No comments: